Subject: Re: bug#38195: 27.0.50; `edebug-remove-instrumentation' doesn't work for adviced functions

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 13:17:51 +0100

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> BTW, I also wonder if we should enhance the command
>> `edebug-remove-instrumentation' so that it is able to reload source
>> files.  It could look at the SYMOL's `symbol-file's, collect these, load
>> the files, and only do what it does now for the symbols that are still
>> wrapped.
>
> Here is a draft.  Any thoughts (Lars)?

[...]

> +(defcustom edebug-reload-files 'ask
> +  "Whether `edebug-remove-instrumentation' should reload files.
> +
> +When non-nil, `edebug-remove-instrumentation' will reload files
> +where possible to get rid of instrumentation.  When the non-nil
> +value is the symbol 'ask, ask for every individual file before
> +loading it.

I don't think this is something that should be mixed up with the
edebug-remove-instrumentation command.  Reloading files can have other
side effects, and those may get in the way.  The user just wants the
edebugging to go away so that they can continue to use Emacs, not change
other bits.

But adding a new command like edebug-reload-instrumented-files would be
OK.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no