Subject: bug#3819: 23.0.60; MacOS Emacs.app: emacsclient buffer killed right away

From: Christopher League <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 01:31:29 -0400

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked]  
mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

% /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q &
M-x server-start
% /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient  
hello.txt
Waiting for Emacs...

At this point, a new frame is created (even without the --create-frame
option). It contains the contents of hello.txt, but in the minibuffer
is the prompt: "Buffer `hello.txt' still has clients; kill it? (yes or
no)" as if we had invoked kill-buffer.

If I type no, then I can edit, save and C-x # as expected. (Although
once finished, the new frame remains.)

It gets worse if I use "emacsclient --no-wait".  In that case, the new
frame pops up, but it just contains *scratch* or *Messages*; the buffer
`hello.txt' does not exist at all. There is nothing in *Messages*
except "For information about GNU Emacs [...]".

Thanks!
Chris

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG for  
instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.7.0, *Step 9.0rc3)
  of 2009-07-02 on sagan.home.lan
configured using `configure '--with-ns' '--without-x' '--prefix=/opt/ 
local/var/macports/build/_opt_macports_dports_aqua_emacs-app/work/ 
emacs-23.0.0_NS-9.0rc3/nextstep/build/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources' '-- 
exec_prefix=/opt/local/var/macports/build/ 
_opt_macports_dports_aqua_emacs-app/work/emacs-23.0.0_NS-9.0rc3/ 
nextstep/build/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS' '--libexecdir=/opt/local/var/ 
macports/build/_opt_macports_dports_aqua_emacs-app/work/ 
emacs-23.0.0_NS-9.0rc3/nextstep/build/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/ 
libexec' '--with-pop' '--enable-font-backend' '--without-freetype'  
'CC=gcc-4.0' 'CFLAGS=-g -O3 -arch ppc -arch i386''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.