Subject: bug#38187: 27.0.50; No mouse-wheel scaling on images

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 17:07:56 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> I repeat my objection.  `font-size-*' does not make
> clear that this is about text scaling, which applies
> to a single _buffer, wherever it is displayed_.

Do you agree that it makes it more clear than "increase-text-scale"?

> The important thing about this is that it is
> buffer-specific - affects only a single buffer, and
> it affects all displays of the buffer - in all windows.

AFAIK, we currently have no other way of changing the font size in
Emacs.  I believe that this feature will quickly be obvious to anyone
who tries using "text-scale-increase" or "text-scale-decrease".

> Please add "buffer" to the aliases you're adding.
> For example: `buffer-font-size-increase'.

I don't object in principle.  But again, we don't have
"frame-font-size-increase" or "window-font-size-increase", so I'm not
sure if it makes things much better.  And to make it discoverable,
perhaps it's better if it starts with "font"?

> (And it's not actually "font"; it's "face".  But
> that's OK.)

Yes, there is that added confusion.  The terminology here seems to be
less than great, since the same thing can interchangeably be called
"increase font size", "increase text size", or "zoom".  See for
example this page from Firefox which manages to use all three of these
in one page:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/font-size-and-zoom-increase-size-of-web-pages

(IME, it is never called "increase text scale" outside of Emacs.)

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas