Subject: bug#38187: 27.0.50; No mouse-wheel scaling on images

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 00:42:22 +0200

>>> AFAIU, that's not what the OP wanted.  He wanted to see _all_ images
>>> be scaled proportionally to the text scaling, regardless of where the
>>> mouse pointer is located.
>>
>> Ah; yes, I agree that that would be confusing.
>
> FWIW, I think the opposite.  I think that zooming text, images and all
> buffer content together should be the default.  I believe that it
> would feel both natural and familiar, especially to new users, since
> that's how e.g. web browsers, LibreOffice and evince, etc. works.

Zooming text and images together would be nice too, but I meant
something much simpler - zooming images in image-mode with mouse-wheel.

In image-mode currently ‘+’ is bound to the command ‘image-increase-size’,
the same command could be bound to ‘<C-mouse-4>’ (C-wheel-up) as well.
Same for ‘-’ (image-decrease-size) and ‘<C-mouse-5>’ (C-wheel-down).

> (That also reminds me that, IMO, text-scale-increase/decrease should
> be renamed to font-size-increase/decrease.  The current names are not
> very discoverable; when one wants to change the font size, and says:
> `M-x font TAB'.  At the very least, we should have such defaliases.)

Maybe, “text-zoom” is more discoverable?