Subject: bug#38187: 27.0.50; No mouse-wheel scaling on images

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 22:20:58 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> AFAIU, that's not what the OP wanted.  He wanted to see _all_ images
>> be scaled proportionally to the text scaling, regardless of where the
>> mouse pointer is located.
>
> Ah; yes, I agree that that would be confusing.

FWIW, I think the opposite.  I think that zooming text, images and all
buffer content together should be the default.  I believe that it
would feel both natural and familiar, especially to new users, since
that's how e.g. web browsers, LibreOffice and evince, etc. works.

And if we do that, why then not call this functionality "zooming"?
That nomenclature is fairly well-established and therefore easier to
understand for new users, I think.

Of course, if we don't do such a change, it makes no sense to
introduce the word "zooming".  Then "change font size" or "change
image size" is a better description of what is going on.

(That also reminds me that, IMO, text-scale-increase/decrease should
be renamed to font-size-increase/decrease.  The current names are not
very discoverable; when one wants to change the font size, and says:
`M-x font TAB'.  At the very least, we should have such defaliases.)

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas