Subject: Re: bug#38181: Actual height of mode-line not taken into account

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 10:34:35 +0200

>> In practice this seems to nicely cover the relevant cases:
 >>
 >> (defun my-redisplay-hack (&rest _)
 >>    (when mode-line-format
 >>      (redisplay t)))
 >> (advice-add #'split-window :after #'my-redisplay-hack)
 >
 > I wonder how this fixes anything, since split-window already triggers
 > redisplay.  Martin, do you understand the difference?

There is no difference in the use cases posted here.  The results will
change only when a window is reused and then fit to its buffer.

 >> but there is some flickering because the window is displayed before
 >> the fit and then immediately replaced by the fitted version.
 >
 > Which means there are two redisplay cycles, and the first one (which
 > produces incorrect display) is the one from your hack.  So once again,
 > I wonder why that call to 'redisplay' is needed.

Where "incorrect redisplay" stands for "window that has not been yet fit
to its buffer".

martin