Subject: bug#38181: Actual height of mode-line not taken into account

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 06:07:54 -0300

>  > 2. redisplay fit redisplay fit redisplay ...

> Sorry.  I still don't understand the purpose of the last redisplay here.

It's not the last, it's a repeating sequence, I left the dangling
redisplay instead of ending it in a fit because I was explaining my
unfortunate choice of words when I said "after", but it's formally the
same, the point being that the first redisplay is not enough.

> Does
>
> 2. redisplay fit redisplay fit ...
>
> fail?  What are the values returned by 'window-mode-line-height' after
> each redisplay?

As far as I can see this works, as I said before. In the example
provided by Jonas window-mode-line-height is 29 immediately after
calling set-face-attribute, but after setting mode-line-format it's
always 60, no matter if I call redisplay or fit or none of them or in
what order. But even if the reported height is the same, the layout is
not, omitting the (previous) redisplay always crops the text.

Best regards,
Carlos