Subject: Re: bug#38181: Actual height of mode-line not taken into account

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 05:18:13 -0300

> Can you show the recipe for the problem, starting from "emacs -Q"?

Yes, of course, the example Jonas provided in the opening post will do
it with a small modification.

1. Execute the code.
2. Call test-popup and check that the layout is wrong.
3. Redefine test-popup with (redisplay) uncommented.
4. Call it again and check that the layout is right.
5. Redefine test-popup with (redisplay) commented again.
6. Call it again and check that the layout is wrong again.

Now, consider the workaround [1] that seemingly has been doing the job
for almost two years in at least moody and doom modelines. AFAICS if
this workaround was working then, (6) above is showing us something
new. Or perhaps it's just my setup and the workaround still works for
everybody else.

> It sounds from what you say that the problem is not with the mode line, but with something else.  If that is true, please submit a new bug report.

Please, you tell me what to do in this regard because I'm unable to
tell if the problem is in the modeline or elsewhere. To my untrained
eye it looks quite similar to what was reported here, although with
the aforementioned difference.

Best regards,
Carlos

---

[1] https://github.com/tarsius/moody/blob/9b679400ca885b8ff51bcfd75b87f79d66c0ee26/moody.el#L303