Subject: bug#38181: Actual height of mode-line not taken into account

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 04:26:51 -0300

Hi Martin,

> If the underlying scenario is that you first fit a window to its buffer
> and then enlarge the height of that window's mode-line, there's not much
> we can do here currently.  It's like fitting a window to its buffer and
> then adding a header line or a horizontal scroll bar to that window.

I can't say I understand the details discussed here but I'm not quite
sure your description fits the situation.

The workaround since this bug was first reported has been: immediately
before fit-window-to-buffer execute an advice that forces a redisplay,
then deactivate the advice.

But the problem I'm seeing now is that the first time
org-set-tags-command is executed its popup is correctly sized (with
said workaround in place, of course), but further executions show a
popup with the wrong geometry that trims part of the text off. If I
remove the "just once" clause in the workaround, so that the redisplay
is forced after each fit-window-to-buffer execution, then the layout
is correct every time. It goes without saying that
org-set-tags-command is ultimately triggering the execution of
fit-window-to-buffer, but that stuff you probably know much better
than me. Thing is, there was no enlargement of the modeline
in-between, as far as I can understand and see nothing changed in this
regard between the first and the second execution of
org-set-tags-command.

Best regards,
Carlos