Subject: bug#38181: Actual height of mode-line not taken into account

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 19:46:30 +0100

>> But IIUC in neither of our proposals we would have done that.
 >
 > I wouldn't be so sure: the code fragment I've shown that detects
 > mode-line height changes is inside redisplay_window.

But we should collect evidence from all windows first before
redisplaying again.

 >> I'd even say that we should resize windows when redisplay finds out
 >> that the mode line height has been increased and would obscure the
 >> window above, not leave at least one line of its window's text
 >> visible
 >
 > Some might dislike such side effects, I think, for the same reason
 > some dislike the resizing which happens due to mini-window growth.

You probably misunderstood.  I meant the example from my other mail
where enlarging the mode line covers the entire text area of its
window.  In that case we sooner or later will resize anyway, that is
when the window resizing code becomes aware of the fact.

martin