Subject: bug#38181: Actual height of mode-line not taken into account

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 19:45:50 +0100

>> I suppose so.  But please always keep in mind that the window code
 >> does not handle problems caused by specifications in the mode and
 >> header lines immediately.
 >
 > What kind of problems are we talking about?

Any problems with the minimum size of windows as the one described in
the next sentence.

 >> For example, it will not auto-resize a one-line window when its mode
 >> line height is increased to more than its text height.
 >
 > That's a separate issue, isn't it?

It's similar, at least.  The scroll bar issue is another similar one.

 >> Because 'fit-window-to-buffer' now has to calculate the mode line
 >> height which it didn't before and which for the majority of users
 >> never changes.
 >
 > Is that a significant problem?

I hope it isn't.

 > It's not like fit-window-to-buffer is
 > expected to be called in a tight loop, right?  Displaying a mode line
 > is no more expensive (actually, even usually expensive) than calling
 > vertical-motion to move one line, and we would never think twice
 > before adding a call to the latter, right?

Agreed (I suppose you meant to say "even usually less expensive"
above).

martin