Subject: configure: error: Guix requires zlib.

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 21:10:03 -0800

Hi,

I keep getting this error when trying to build Guix.  I got it just
today when invoking the following command from a clean checkout:

guix environment --pure guix -- ./bootstrap && ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make

My current guix version is 18a69803e2eea4f7555d6eafb6497a645c2d094f:

$ guix describe
guile: warning: failed to install locale
Generation 5	Nov 11 2019 20:03:30	(current)
  guix 18a6980
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 18a69803e2eea4f7555d6eafb6497a645c2d094f

GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH="/home/marusich/custom-guix-packages"

The commit I had checked out was:
18a69803e2eea4f7555d6eafb6497a645c2d094f.

Can anyone reproduce this issue?  It happens consistently for me using
this checkout.  This is the tip of the master branch, by the way.  I ran
"guix pull" without any problem earlier today.  It happens even if I
remove the "--pure" option:

guix environment guix -- ./bootstrap && ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make

It still happens even if I add zlib ad-hoc to the environment:

$ guix environment guix --ad-hoc zlib -- ./bootstrap && ./configure --localstatedir=/var && make

It's pretty strange.

-- 
Chris