Subject: Re: bug#38171: guix lynx can not connect, ArchLinux lynx can, why?

From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 19:23:15 +0100

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> Can you double-check that the licenses of Lynx and OpenSSL are
> compatible for redistribution?

https://lynx.invisible-island.net/current/README.ssl says:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
OpenSSL's distribution and use may be restricted by licenses and laws.
For information on obtaining OpenSSL, as well as information on its
distribution, see http://www.openssl.org/
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and https://www.openssl.org/docs/faq.html says:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Can I use OpenSSL with GPL software?

On many systems including the major Linux and BSD distributions, yes
(the GPL does not place restrictions on using libraries that are part of
the normal operating system distribution).

On other systems, the situation is less clear. Some GPL software
copyright holders claim that you infringe on their rights if you use
OpenSSL with their software on operating systems that don't normally
include OpenSSL.

If you develop open source software that uses OpenSSL, you may find it
useful to choose an other license than the GPL, or state explicitly that
"This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption
that compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed." If you are
using GPL software developed by others, you may want to ask the
copyright holder for permission to use their software with OpenSSL.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

If Guix is one of the major Linux distributions (as I think it is), Lynx
and OpenSSL are compatible as per OpenSSL's site (first paragraph).  In
any case, Lynx's README.ssl makes it clear that they have nothing
against OpenSSL use.  (It even says GnuTLS support is experimental.)