Subject: Re: bug#38164: quit-restore-window doesn't restore point in man

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 10:33:45 +0100

>>> (progn
 >>>     (man "XYZ")
 >>>     (read-string "-->"))
 >>>
 >>> This is because quit-restore-window moves point to wrong window.
 >>
 >> What should 'quit-restore-window' do here in particular?
 >
 > quit-restore-window should move point to old-selected-window,
 > i.e. the minibuffer window that was selected before Man-bgproc-sentinel
 > kicked in.  But I don't understand why it's not doing that.

I'm not sure what you mean.  At the time 'man' calls 'display-buffer',
the latter simply records the window returned by 'selected-window' as
the one to reselect when the *Man XYZ* window gets deleted.  That
recorded window is not the minibuffer window here, even if I evaluate
the form via M-:.  Am I missing something?

martin