Subject: Re: bug#38156: 27.0.50; [PATCH] VC: ability to skip update buffers prompt

From: Andrii Kolomoiets <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:54:07 +0200

Hi Lars,

> On 14 Nov 2019, at 07:55, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Andrii Kolomoiets <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> The `update' argument of `vc-retrieve-tag' is ignored by git, hg and svn
>> vc backends so the answer for "Update any affected buffers?" prompt
>> doesn't matter.  This prompt can be omitted.
> 
> Would it be possible to make those backends respect the UPDATE argument
> instead?  I had a quick peek at vc-cvs-retrieve-tag (which does respect
> the argument), and it looks a bit painful, and I'm not sure whether it
> looks that useful.

vc-retrieve-tag is already updating buffers by calling
(vc-resynch-buffer dir t t t)

Maybe this commits are related:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=5828f6cacc5
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=5f4f2ae4f96

IMO there are nothing more those backends can do with buffers so
`update` argument is mean nothing to them.

Don't know about cvs backend though.