Subject: Re: bug#38148: Guix packages old/broken version of qutebrowser

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2019 17:49:49 +0100

Florian,

[I'm not a regular qutebrowser user, nor maintainer — I don't 
think we have one.]

Florian Bruhin 写道：
> I'm the upstream author of qutebrowser - it looks like Guix 
> currently packages
> qutebrowser 0.11.0: 
> https://guix.gnu.org/packages/qutebrowser-0.11.0/
>
> That version is very outdated (July 2017, there have been 28 new 
> releases since
> then). It has various known security issues, but currently it 
> just crashes
> outright, because such an old version isn't compatible with Qt 
> 5.11 which is
> packaged in Guix.
>
> That results in me getting crash reports around once per week - 
> at this point,
> it'd probably be better to not package qutebrowser at all, 
> seeing that nobody
> seems to maintain that package for a long time now.

Thank you for letting us know.  My apologies for the noise from 
these useless crash reports.

Is there a supported way to replace the default bug report URL 
with our own?

If not, I could patch qutebrowser to pop up a dialogue with our 
bug tracker (e-mail) address instead.  The crash report itself 
would likely be lost.

I've tried qutebrowser 1.8.1 with QtWebKit and it runs, but then 
freezes (@ 0% CPU) after some minutes.  I had to SIGKILL it. 
However, so does 0.11.0.

I'll try to get it to run, and hopefully the state of 
qutebrowser's dependencies in Guix will improve as well.

Kind regards,

T G-R