Subject: bug#38143: 27.0.50; Say that before-make-frame-hook & after-make-frame-functions are not invoked for the initial frame

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 10:01:34 +0100

> Currently de docstrings of those variables do not mention that they are
 > not invoked for the initial frame. Adding that detail is trivial, except
 > that when the initial frame belongs to a daemon they are invoked.
 >
 > I'm not sure how to word that information.

The reason is that the initial frame is not made by 'make-frame'.  The
Elisp manual says

      Note that any functions added to these hooks by your initial file are
   usually not run for the initial frame, since Emacs reads the initial
   file only after creating that frame.  However, if the initial frame is
   specified to use a separate minibuffer frame (*note Minibuffers and
   Frames::), the functions will be run for both, the minibuffer-less and
   the minibuffer frame.

This explanation is slightly misleading: Since the initial frame is
not created by 'make-frame', Emacs would not run these hooks even if
it did read the initial file earlier.  Hints for improving the
documentation are welcome.

martin