Subject: bug#38143: 27.0.50; Say that before-make-frame-hook & after-make-frame-functions are not invoked for the initial frame

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 22:21:16 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 21:17:01 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The new text is incorrect -- assuming that by "initial frame" the doc
> > strings mean what we usually mean by that: the first frame displayed
> > by a GUI Emacs session (see "Frame Parameters" in the user manual, and
> > cf. initial-frame-alist).
> 
> OK; reverted.  Has this changed since the bug was reported?

The only relevant change I know of is that we now have early-init
file, which means users can set up these hooks there, and have them
run when the initial frame is created.

> > Perhaps the bug report was using "initial frame" in another sense: to
> > allude to the frame we create in temacs, which is a terminal frame,
> > normally deleted when a GUI session starts, except in a daemon, which
> > keeps it.  But in that case, these changes will confuse the heck out
> > of the users who will read them and try to figure out how to use this
> > information.  We should in that case explain in the doc strings which
> > "initial frame" we allude to here.
> 
> I think we need some input from the bug reported about what they meant
> by "initial frame" here.

Indeed.