Subject: Re: bug#38143: 27.0.50; Say that before-make-frame-hook & after-make-frame-functions are not invoked for the initial frame

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 21:17:01 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The new text is incorrect -- assuming that by "initial frame" the doc
> strings mean what we usually mean by that: the first frame displayed
> by a GUI Emacs session (see "Frame Parameters" in the user manual, and
> cf. initial-frame-alist).

OK; reverted.  Has this changed since the bug was reported?

> Perhaps the bug report was using "initial frame" in another sense: to
> allude to the frame we create in temacs, which is a terminal frame,
> normally deleted when a GUI session starts, except in a daemon, which
> keeps it.  But in that case, these changes will confuse the heck out
> of the users who will read them and try to figure out how to use this
> information.  We should in that case explain in the doc strings which
> "initial frame" we allude to here.

I think we need some input from the bug reported about what they meant
by "initial frame" here.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no