Subject: bug#38138: closed (Re: bug#38138: Fwd: Likely bug: generating tags with Emacs Lisp sources present)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 02:10:04 +0000

Your bug report

#38138: Fwd: Likely bug: generating tags with Emacs Lisp sources present

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
38138: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38138
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#38138: Fwd: Likely bug: generating tags with Emacs Lisp sources present
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 19:08:58 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This was a dup of 38139. Closing.

Subject: Fwd: Likely bug: generating tags with Emacs Lisp sources present
From: Luca Saiu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 21:27:18 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.

I am taking the liberty of pinging you about this problem, which has a
one-character fix.  I reported it a few weeks ago, possibly to the wrong
list; I apologize.

Best regards, and thank you for your work.

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
From: Luca Saiu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Likely bug: generating tags with Emacs Lisp sources present
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 21:18:42 +0200

Hello.

For some reason I lost the habit of using tags some years ago, but I
would like to start again.  So today I have tried to see what Automake
got me automatically in my project, Jitter, which uses "An Alternative
Approach to Subdirectories" by running
  make tags
.

I received this error message:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'emacs/jitter-mode.elconfig.h.in', needed by 'tags-am'.  Stop.

which suggests that a space is missing somewhere.  emacs/jitter-mode.el
is an Emacs Lisp source, handled with Automake in a very canonical way.
config.h.in is exactly what you expect.

In the generated Makefile I see:

am__tagged_files = $(HEADERS) $(SOURCES) $(TAGS_FILES) \
	$(LISP)config.h.in

And in fact I can see that the value of am__tagged_files, at the very
end, has
emacs/jitter-mode.elconfig.h.in
, without a space.

I think that the problem is in bin/automake.in (checked on git master):

    define_variable ('am__tagged_files',
                     '$(HEADERS) $(SOURCES) $(TAGS_FILES) $(LISP)'
                     . "@config", INTERNAL);

A space is missing after $(LISP).

I am not an Automake expert and I apologize if I am overlooking
something obvious, but this seems quite plausible to me.

Best regards, and thanks for your work.

-- 
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net
* GNU epsilon:           http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon
* Jitter:                http://ageinghacker.net/projects/jitter

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".
-------------------- End of forwarded message --------------------

-- 
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net
* GNU epsilon:           http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon
* Jitter:                http://ageinghacker.net/projects/jitter

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".