Subject: Re: bug#38137: code of Emacs vs. function of OS ?

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 11:28:12 +0100

tags 38137 + notabug
close 38137
thanks

do ri <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi, all,
> Prompt pls. 
>  
> 1) Who - your code of text editor or function of operations system -
> interpret the control codes 0x00 till 0x1f (e.g. LineFeed 0x0a)? If
> these codes have glyphs in .ttf-files, and we wanna see these glyphs
> in text editor, changes should be done in text editor or in system
> function?
>
> 2) The same question for control codes 0x80 till 0x9f.

This begins outside of Emacs.  If you run GNU/Linux, you could run the
"xev" command to see the mappings of particular keys.

There might be additional mappings inside Emacs, for example due to
input methods (see "Input methods" in the Emacs manual).

If you want to insert a particular glyph, I suggest you use the
insert-char command, by default bound to C-x 8 RET.

> 3) Opposite question: who interpret code 0x20 (Space) as mark to
> bring text to new line? To change code of Space to another one
> (e.g. to 0x49), where changes should be done?
>
> 4) To interpret code of old regular letter (e.g. 0x48) as control
> code (e.g. as LineFeed), where changes should be done?

I think there are multiple ways of doing the above.  You could use
input methods in Emacs or change this in X using xmodmap.

> 5) For symbols 0x00 till 0x7f, what are the ways to use 7-bits
> encoding table with classical .ttf-files without converting text
> into 8-bits encoding?

I don't know the answer to that question, sorry.

Seeing as these are more general support type questions, I think they
are better suited for the emacs-help list than the Emacs bug tracker.
Since I see no bug or feature request above, I am closing this bug
report with this message.  Best of luck.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas