Subject: Re: bug#38111: 27.0.50; globalized-minor-mode not enabled on get-buffer-create

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 13:06:27 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> The following patch fixes this, but I'm still not sure if we need
>>> to grep all occurrences of get-buffer-create and add set-buffer-major-mode
>>> everywhere?
>>
>> This is a problem with all globalized minor modes, right?
>
> Yes, with all globalized minor modes.
>
> So I installed the patch that fixes this particular case,
> and leaving this bug report open waiting for a more general solution.

I don't think a general solution is really possible here.  We don't want
any get-buffer-create to run the globalised modes -- that would be slow
and awkward.  We only want those to run in buffers that users actually
end up using, and I think that's something the modes themselves must
somehow decide.

So I don't think there's any realistic progress to be made in this bug
report, and I'm closing it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no