Subject: bug#38111: 27.0.50; globalized-minor-mode not enabled on get-buffer-create

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 11:42:07 +1300

On 2019-11-08 22:50, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Sounds like globalized-minor-mode machinery somehow doesn't support
> the latter method of creating a buffer?

Yep, globalized modes use `after-change-major-mode-hook' to call the
buffer-local minor mode, and that hook is not triggered in these cases
because, although new buffers are in `fundamental-mode' by default,
the `fundamental-mode' function is not actually called, and so no mode
change occurs.

I believe this has cropped up in past discussion, but I don't recall
where offhand.

I agree that it's surprising when you are expecting the global mode(s)
to be enabled (I first realised it when attempting to use a globalized
mode for my custom key bindings, and discovering they were not being
enabled in various buffers).

If this were changed then there *might* be undesirable consequences to
having lots of created-behind-the-scenes buffers suddenly doing things
they never did before.

If the current behaviour is kept, the documentation for globalized
modes and for creating buffers should probably say something about the
matter.

-Phil