Subject: Re: [bug#38108] doc: Fix typos -- parenthesis dot

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 14:32:56 -0400

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:01:50AM +0200, zimoun wrote:
> Hi Julien,
> 
> On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 03:31, Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > Isn't it normal in English to end a sentence inside the parenthesis?
> 
> No, it is not what the rule of typos say, both in American and British
> English.  This message [1] of the thread summarizes the arguments: the
> Chicago Manual of Style (holy bible of english typo) is pretty clear,
> The Guardian too and discussion on IRC with natives confirmed.
> 
> Well, as you and Ludo too, I thought that the English convention was
> always '.)' in all the cases but not; see example in [1].  Because we
> are all three French, maybe teachers at school lied us. ;-)

It's standard in American English to end the sentence outside of the
parentheses (like this). Maybe "Continental English" is different, I
don't know :)