Subject: Re: bug#38101: User's customization to completion-styles requires tweak to completion-category-defaults

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 15:15:35 +0000

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 2:20 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 16:02:03 +0000
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> >
> > Sure thing.
> >
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-11/msg00227.html
>
> Thanks, but I see no references there to completion-category-defaults
> or anything along those lines.

It's on line 23-24 of the linked email's body.

As I wrote, this is the problem:

JT >  completion-category-defaults
JT > needs to be tweaked to "unshadow" the user's customization to
JT > completion-styles.

This means that if you customize completion-styles, you also need
to tweak completion-category-defaults, because the latter shadows
the former. Stefan thinks this is a bug, and so do I.

Moreover, Stefan has stated that you need to "constantly" tweak
completion-category-defaults because other packages might
add to it.

I haven't analyzed the problem sufficiently to tell you _why_ the
shadowing happens, just that it happens.

João