Subject: save-some-buffers recursive editing entrapment

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:38:44 +0800

Let's examine the trouble one can get into with
   C-x s runs the command save-some-buffers

   Type SPC or `y' to save the current buffer;
   DEL or `n' to skip the current buffer;
   RET or `q' to give up on the save (skip all remaining buffers);
   C-g to quit (cancel the whole command);
   ! to save all remaining buffers;
   C-r to view this buffer;
Yeah, that will get one entangled into both recursive editing and view
mode, try it while you are entering the reply for this message.
   d to view changes in this buffer;
Beep: "Buffer *mail* has no associated file on disc" (so don't ask in
this case); plus now we are recursive editing.
   or . (period) to save the current buffer and exit.

Make you a deal: please just add a further choice:
   g go to the current buffer (i.e., that buffer listed)
with no side effects, no marriage vows. Just put us in that buffer and
that's that.

4 out of 5 users won't know how to climb out of recursive editing, now
that there is no message about it, except for brackets in the
modeline. And even if there was a message, it would get overwritten by
the view mode message. And, recursive editing messes up gnus for me.
So my new g proposal will not tangle up the user with recursive editing.