Subject: bug#38079: On Windows tramp hangs after server-start is called

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 11:50:45 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > There are two system calls that return this information on Windows,
>> > and they treat the letter-case differently.  The second system call
>> > needs the winsock layer to be initialized, and we don't want to do
>> > that at startup because it causes various problems (sorry, I no longer
>> > remember the details of that part).  So we only call the network-aware
>> > system call after some network connection is available.
>>
>> Shouldn't we document this in etc/PROBLEMS?
>
> What would you suggest to document?  This is an internal detail of the
> Emacs implementation, and users have no control on the results.  Maybe
> I'm missing something, but what useful workarounds can we suggest?

I don't speak about users but developers. At least we shall warn them
that `system-name' can return different values. They might apply counter
measures, like using only (downcase (system-name)) or a alike on w32.

Well, since it is about developers, the Lisp manual might be the better
place to document, in the "Operating System Environment" section.

Best regards, Michael.