Subject: Re: bug#38066: 26.1; X-Message-SMTP-Method header does not affect smtpmail-stream-type

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 17:05:22 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>     Lars> 465 is a TLS port in an SMTP context, and 443 is a TLS port
>>     Lars> in an HTTP context.  Outside those contexts, they're not
>>     Lars> anything in particular, of course.
>>
>> So youʼre suggesting we do autodetection in smtpmail and nnimap only
>> (and probably a few more besides)?
>
> When smtpmail contacts port 465, it should set the type to 'ssl, yes.
> (And the same for nnimap and 993.)

I've now done this on the trunk.

I think Robert's suggestion to add more DWIM logic at a lower level is
interesting, but I think it makes sense to handle this at a higher
(protocol) level -- and I think the Message level is the most flexible.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no