Subject: [bug#38063] [PATCH 2/2] bootstrap: Add m2-planet-boot0.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 06:56:16 +0100

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hello Ludo',

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> * gnu/packages/commencement.scm (m2-planet-boot0): New variable.
>
> Since this is currently unused, should we postpone and review it as part
> of a bigger change that will actually use it?  What do you prefer?

Yes, I think that's wise.  I was so excited that I wanted to share this
recipe.  The releases that we need for a proper packaging will take some
serious time and effort.

>> +(define-public m2-planet-boot0
>> +  ;; The soon-to-be initial bootstrap package: no binary inputs except for a
>> +  ;; ~500 byte binary seed: `x86/hex0-seed'.
>> +  (let* ((version "1.4.0")
>> +         (revision "0")
>> +         (commit "1fc2aeab483208bd2ba117b21df3894c182470ec")
>> +         (seed-version "Release_1.1")
>> +         (mescc-tools-version "Release_0.6.1")
>> +         (mes-m2-commit "f025a24b19e8447fb96ba1746bdad494ae63a514")
>> +         (mes-m2-version (string-append "0.19-" (string-take mes-m2-commit 7))))
>
> This is a bit intimidating.  ;-)  It would be great if we could refer to
> releases only, and perhaps we don’t need to have all these in this
> ‘define’?

Sure!  I am hoping to drop mes-m2 here and use tarballs; even if we have
to hand-craft them and host them ourselves.

>> +                (method url-fetch)
>> +                (uri (string-append
>> +                      "https://github.com/oriansj/m2-planet"
>> +                      "/archive/" commit ".tar.gz"))
>
> Unless I’m mistaken, /archive tarballs are automatically generated and
> should thus be avoided.
>
> However, using ‘git-fetch’ here is not quite feasible because it could
> lead to bootstrapping problems (“soft” bootstrapping problems, because
> these are fixed-output derivations, but still.)

Yes...

I will close this issue after giving the plain m2-planet a proper
description.

Thanks for looking a it ;-)
Greetings,
janneke

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com