Subject: Re: [bug#38063] [PATCH 2/2] bootstrap: Add m2-planet-boot0.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 23:26:12 +0100

Hi,

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/packages/commencement.scm (m2-planet-boot0): New variable.

Since this is currently unused, should we postpone and review it as part
of a bigger change that will actually use it?  What do you prefer?

> +(define-public m2-planet-boot0
> +  ;; The soon-to-be initial bootstrap package: no binary inputs except for a
> +  ;; ~500 byte binary seed: `x86/hex0-seed'.
> +  (let* ((version "1.4.0")
> +         (revision "0")
> +         (commit "1fc2aeab483208bd2ba117b21df3894c182470ec")
> +         (seed-version "Release_1.1")
> +         (mescc-tools-version "Release_0.6.1")
> +         (mes-m2-commit "f025a24b19e8447fb96ba1746bdad494ae63a514")
> +         (mes-m2-version (string-append "0.19-" (string-take mes-m2-commit 7))))

This is a bit intimidating.  ;-)  It would be great if we could refer to
releases only, and perhaps we don’t need to have all these in this
‘define’?

> +                (method url-fetch)
> +                (uri (string-append
> +                      "https://github.com/oriansj/m2-planet"
> +                      "/archive/" commit ".tar.gz"))

Unless I’m mistaken, /archive tarballs are automatically generated and
should thus be avoided.

However, using ‘git-fetch’ here is not quite feasible because it could
lead to bootstrapping problems (“soft” bootstrapping problems, because
these are fixed-output derivations, but still.)

Thanks!

Ludo’.