Subject: bug#3806: closed (Re: bug#3806: 23.1.50; rename-uniquely doc)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 20:33:03 +0000

Your bug report

#3806: 23.1.50; rename-uniquely doc

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
3806: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3806
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#3806: 23.1.50; rename-uniquely doc
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:31:27 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.0.94

Stephen Berman wrote:

> The last, parenthetical, sentence in particular is important
> information, and I think it should also be in the doc string,

OK, I added something about this.

> And for this reason, I also think it should be more specific, not just
> listing "some of these features" that require switching out of the
> uniquely renamed buffer, but all such known "features".

I don't think it is possible or desirable to give a comprehensive list
(it may just be compilation-based modes).

> However, the manual appears to be out of date, or just inaccurate:
> invoking Info from within a uniquely renamed Info buffer does not
> overwrite it but opens new Info buffer, as I just confirmed with -Q.

I happened to change this recently.

> If `M-x info' has indeed been "fixed" wrt rename-uniquely, then can't
> `M-x {r,l}grep' and `M-x compile' likewise be fixed?  (I haven't tested
> compile for this, but the grep commands do indeed, annoyingly, require
> switching buffers.)  Since the requirement is documented, it is not
> strictly a bug, but the behavior is suboptimal and if, as with Info, it
> can be changed, then I think it should be.  I can submit a separate bug
> for that.

It's a deliberate feature of compilation-buffer-name. A new wishlist bug
would be appropriate if you would like to see that changed.

Subject: 23.1.50; rename-uniquely doc
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:27:27 +0200

The doc string of rename-uniquely says:

,----
| Rename current buffer to a similar name not already taken.
| This function is useful for creating multiple shell process buffers
| or multiple mail buffers, etc.
`----

The Emacs manual (node Misc Buffer) says more:

,----
| `M-x rename-uniquely' renames the current buffer to a similar name
| with a numeric suffix added to make it both different and unique.  This
| command does not need an argument.  It is useful for creating multiple
| shell buffers: if you rename the `*shell*' buffer, then do `M-x shell'
| again, it makes a new shell buffer named `*shell*'; meanwhile, the old
| shell buffer continues to exist under its new name.  This method is
| also good for mail buffers, compilation buffers, and most Emacs
| features that create special buffers with particular names.  (With some
| of these features, such as `M-x compile', `M-x grep' an `M-x info', you
| need to switch to some other buffer before using the command, in order
| for it to make a different buffer.)
`----

The last, parenthetical, sentence in particular is important
information, and I think it should also be in the doc string, since this
is an annoying gotcha.  And for this reason, I also think it should be
more specific, not just listing "some of these features" that require
switching out of the uniquely renamed buffer, but all such known
"features".  However, the manual appears to be out of date, or just
inaccurate: invoking Info from within a uniquely renamed Info buffer
does not overwrite it but opens new Info buffer, as I just confirmed
with -Q.  So the doc needs to be at least corrected (and preferably
augmented).

If `M-x info' has indeed been "fixed" wrt rename-uniquely, then can't
`M-x {r,l}grep' and `M-x compile' likewise be fixed?  (I haven't tested
compile for this, but the grep commands do indeed, annoyingly, require
switching buffers.)  Since the requirement is documented, it is not
strictly a bug, but the behavior is suboptimal and if, as with Info, it
can be changed, then I think it should be.  I can submit a separate bug
for that.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
 of 2009-07-08 on escher
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10502000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t