Subject: bug#38047: System Stuttering

From: Raghav Gururajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 15:06:15 -0500

Hello Guix!

I am having this issue for a long time, even before last 'core-updates' 
--> 'master' merge.

So whenever I am watching video on mpv or icecat or ungoogled-chromium, 
if do fast-forward or fast-backward few times, the stuttering starts
right away.

By stuttering I mean, stuttering in system-wide. That is, stuttering
happens in 1) playing media 2) switching windows 3) opening new
applications 4) browsing menus etc. Like stuttering happens every-
where, not just on playing video. It is like whole system slows down.
Then I will have to restart the system to get things to normal. Even
logout/login did not work.

There is one deviance though, while playing media in ungoogled-
chromium, I do not have to do fast-forward/backward; the stuttering
starts just in few minutes after starting the video.

I am not sure whether problem is with gnome, xorg or something else.
When I looked at System Monitor during the stuttering, the processes
"..gnome-shell-r", ".gnome-system-m" and "X" shows intermittent CPU% as
100.

Regards,
RG.