Subject: bug#38045: Video Rendering Issues on IceCat

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 11:25:06 -0500

Hi,

Raghav Gururajan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> It was just weird that this is issue started after the upgrade.
> Before that, all was fine.

I have a hypothesis of what might have happened here.

Since the upgrade to version 68, the IceCat package in GNU Guix is no
longer using our system ffmpeg.  Although ffmpeg is listed in the
'inputs', "guix gc --references $(guix build icecat)" shows that the
built package does not reference it.  It must be using the bundled copy
of ffmpeg instead.

Prior to the upgrade to version 68, the IceCat package in Guix
referenced the system ffmpeg library, and that fact was reflected in the
output of "guix gc --references".

Possibly related: I noticed while debugging this upgrade that the
'link-libxul-with-libraries' phase no longer seems to be doing its job.
That's why I needed to add pulseaudio's lib directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
in the 'wrap-program' phase.

I would be grateful for help debugging these issues.  I'm very heavily
overloaded with other tasks at present, and it may be a few weeks before
I can look into this specific bug.

Incidentally, I agree that 'important' is an appropriate severity level
for this bug.

      Regards,
        Mark