Subject: Re: Video Rendering Issues on IceCat

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 16:41:44 -0800

Hi Raghav,

Are you actively working on this bug?  If you are not, then as a matter
of etiquette, I think it would be best not to change its severity.

Raghav Gururajan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Guix and GNUzilla!
>
> I am currently using IceCat (68.2.0-guix0-preview3) on Guix System.
>
> Starting from version 68.X.X, I started to face issues with playing
> videos online. This happens on most of the websites (not all though).
>
> I get any of these following errors:
> 1) No compatible source was found for this media.
> 2) Your browser does not support the playback of this video. Please try
> using a different browser.
> 3) Error loading player: No playable sources found.
>
> I thought issues could be due to any of the add-ons I am using. But I
> was able to reproduce these errors by running Icecat on safe-mode (i.e.
> with all add-ons disabled).

Can you provide specific example URLs that do not work?

Did you try installing the gst-plugins-* packages?  I observed similar
behavior in the past.  I believe I resolved it by installing the right
gst-plugins-* packages, which is probably one of these:

gst-plugins-base
gst-plugins-good
gst-plugins-bad
gst-plugins-ugly

You might also have to adjust some settings in about:config.  I can't
remember if I did that or not.  Video in IceCat generally works, but
depending on the video you might need to jump through some extra hoops
to make it happen.

-- 
Chris