Subject: bug#38044: 27.0.50; There should be an easier way to look at a specific vc commit

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 12:39:47 +0200

On 02.12.2019 5:34, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 00:30:09 +0200
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>
>> On 01.12.2019 23:39, Stephen Berman wrote:
>>> As mentioned near the start of this bug, I had already written my own
>>> command to do essentially what `C-1 C-x v L' now does, but also
>>> including the option I proposed.  So I'll just keep using that command.
>>
>> Then we should keep this as is, for now. But thank you for the request,
>> and others who need this as well should feel free to speak up.
> 
> What do you think about replacing the call to thing-at-point with
> number-at-point, where we look at the revision ID?

Probably not:

- Git revisions are SHA hashes, not numbers. Hg also has commit hashes, 
though they are less visible.

- I'm pretty sure this command will be just as often used with symbolic 
refs such as branch names. So I'd rather use (thing-at-point 'symbol t) 
instead. Or a dedicated "thing" that does not depend on the buffer's 
syntax (and always includes slashes, hyphens and underscores in addition 
to alphanumerics).