Subject: Re: Python version language support

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 19:32:50 -0700

Automake guarantees releases will support all Python versions that
    are still supported by the Python project at the time of the
    Automake release.  Support for EOL versions of Python are not
    guaranteed, but will be considered as long as it is not onerous to
    do so, and there are large supported distros including them.  If you
    need to support older Python versions, please use a previous
    Automake release.

That sounds like a sensible approach to me. Jim?

    * we update the manual to state clearly:
      * Python 2.7 & 3.4 - 3.10 are fully supported
      * Python 2.0 - 2.6 & 3.0 - 3.3 should work, but are not tested
      * Python <2.0 do not work are not supported at all

I agree it would be useful to be explicit about Python versions in the
manual.

Personally, I would find it impossible to track what Python versions
require what and what we support, but as long as you can make the needed
updates to the manual at each release time (something to be added to the
release list ... Jim?), sounds good to me.

I would add that we don't object to installing patches for older
versions, or for whatever other reason, as long as the patches are
understandable and maintainable. In practice, that is what we (I) do
now.  I have little understanding of (or interest in) Python, but if
people send usable patches, I'm happy to install them. What any given
patch might mean for version support, I don't even begin to figure out.

Thanks,
Karl