Subject: bug#38035: 27.0.50; Trivial errors in process filters can render Emacs unusable

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 22:50:26 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 21:42:35 +0100
> 
> > I guess the idea was to make sure the message is seen, not obscured
> > right away.
> 
> But we don't do this with errors that happen in other circumstances --
> just the filter errors, I think?

Because reception of process output is not necessarily a frequent
event, so we want to be sure the user had enough time to see the
message.

> (And some errors are so annoying to deal with that we disabled them
> immediately if they happen.  For instance, if a function in
> post-command-hook happens, we just remove the function immediately.)

Post command hook is called much more frequently.

> So I think the sleep in the filter handling should be removed.  (This is
> in addition to disabling the filter upon some threshold or other.)

I see no reason.  If the mechanism of disabling such a filter will
work reasonably well, the sleep will annoy a few times, and then go
away.

I understand that it pissed you off, but the situation where it
happened will be resolved by the automatic disabling, so your past
annoyance doesn't need to affect anything else.  IOW, I think you are
over-reacting here.