Subject: bug#38035: 27.0.50; Trivial errors in process filters can render Emacs unusable

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 21:42:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Bu I do wonder about the need for the sleep when signalling errors from
>> a process filter in particular.  For instance
>> 
>> (run-at-time 1 1 (lambda () (error)))
>> 
>> doesn't pause Emacs at all, but just displays the error as normal, which
>> seems, well, more normal to me.  What's so special about filter errors
>> that you have to pause Emacs?
>
> I guess the idea was to make sure the message is seen, not obscured
> right away.

But we don't do this with errors that happen in other circumstances --
just the filter errors, I think?

(And some errors are so annoying to deal with that we disabled them
immediately if they happen.  For instance, if a function in
post-command-hook happens, we just remove the function immediately.)

So I think the sleep in the filter handling should be removed.  (This is
in addition to disabling the filter upon some threshold or other.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no