Subject: Re: bug#38031: 26.3; Trying to invoke the macOS File Open window causes Emacs to crash on macOS Catalina

From: Nathaniel Bass <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 21:06:43 -0800

I tried and before I got to testing the patch I ran into an issue building
Emacs on macOS 10.15 (aka Catalina).

When I run make I get the following error:

xml.c:26:10: fatal error: 'libxml/tree.h' file not found
#include <libxml/tree.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
make[1]: *** [xml.o] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C lib all
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C lib-src all
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -C src
VCSWITNESS='$(srcdir)/../.git/logs/HEAD' all
  CC       xml.o
xml.c:26:10: fatal error: 'libxml/tree.h' file not found
#include <libxml/tree.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
make[1]: *** [xml.o] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2

Mac OS X 10.14 has stopped placing the include libraries in their usual
location, /usr/include, keeping them only inside the XCode directory.

The work around was to run a pkg installer included in the XCode
directory.[1] I can no longer find that file or anything similar in macOS
10.15.

Any tips are appreciated. I will try to build and test the patch again this
weekend. There was something in the article I referenced about linking the
path where the libraries are to /usr/include but it wasn't recommended
because it overrides the default behaviour expected by Mac OS and requires
you to disable SIP (System Integrity Protection). I am open to trying
anything.

[1]
https://silvae86.github.io/sysadmin/mac/osx/mojave/beta/libxml2/2018/07/05/fixing-missing-headers-for-homebrew-in-mac-osx-mojave/

Other links about this issue:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg01918.html
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/34238/installing-emacs-from-source-make-fatal-error-libxml-tree-h-file-not-found

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, 4:40 PM Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Alan Third <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 04:02:39PM -0500, Michael Dixon wrote:
> >> Thanks Alan. I might be a little over my head here, as I’m not sure
> >> how to apply a patch. I presume I would have to build from source...
> >
> > Yes, you would. It’s not very hard if you’ve got git installed. I can
> > talk you through it. Alternatively we can try to find someone else
> > running Catalina, there should be a few Emacs devs/users who’ve
> > upgraded around here somewhere.
>
> I'm still on 10.13 so I unfortunately can't help with this.  But since
> this is a crash in very basic functionality, perhaps we should
> actively reach out to try to see if anyone can help with this in time
> to fix it before the pretest of Emacs 27.1.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan Kangas
>
>