Subject: bug#38024: Remove icomplete workaround

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 10:28:40 +0100

Hey Aaron,

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Aaron Jensen [2021-10-31 20:49:23] wrote:
>>
>> Would it be possible to remove it? I'm ccing the original reporter and
>> fixer in case they are able to shed more light on this or test without
>> the fix to see if they can reproduce it.
>>
>> I've attached a patch if we are good to remove it.
>
> Thanks, I just pushed your patch to `master`.
> We'll see if the problem comes back, and if so, we'll have to try and
> fix it better.

Congrats on your investigation work; I wish I could shed more light on
what this workaround was meant to accomplish.  I've tried to reproduce
my original issue, but so far I was not successful.

If my initial report can be trusted, the bug happened (1) back when the
development branch was 27.0.50 (commit 61fb521481) (2) on an old
battered laptop that I can no longer power on without disturbing loud
fan demons.

26.3 no longer compiles on my end[1], so all I could do was try to
reproduce on master, where the workaround has been reverted, on other
computers I have lying around.  The symptoms have not resurfaced yet,
so… I'll go with a timid, yet hopeful "yay" 🙂

[1] With gcc 11.2.1:
sysdep.c:1795:22: error: variably modified ‘sigsegv_stack’ at file scope
 1795 | static unsigned char sigsegv_stack[SIGSTKSZ];
      |                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~