Subject: bug#38023: Update win32 faq: emacs works on windows 10

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 01:25:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Cecilio Pardo <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Cecilio Pardo <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 02:43:54 +0100
>> 
>> > I'd rather we said something that didn't require us to go back and fix
>> > it every year.  Basically, all the Windows versions of the NT family
>> > are supported, and will be supported in the future.
>> 
>> Maybe something like this?
>> 
>> diff --git a/doc/misc/efaq-w32.texi b/doc/misc/efaq-w32.texi
>> index cdd01e47f0..4dddfeeb16 100644
>> --- a/doc/misc/efaq-w32.texi
>> +++ b/doc/misc/efaq-w32.texi
>> @@ -126,7 +126,7 @@ Which versions of Windows
>>  @cindex supported versions of Windows
>>  
>>  Emacs @value{EMACSVER} is known to run on all versions of Windows from
>> -Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0 through to Windows 8.1.  The Windows
>> +Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0 through current ones.  The Windows
>
> I'm admittedly splitting hair, but I think this is slightly better:
>
>   Emacs @value{EMACSVER} is known to run on all versions of Windows 9X
>   from Windows 98 onward, and all versions of the NT family starting
>   from NT 4.0.

Personally, I know very little about Microsoft Windows.  Only by
reading this list have I recently learned that Windows 10 (or 8 or
whatever) is part of the "NT family" of Windows.  And only two minutes
ago I checked Wikipedia and learned that Windows XP is also part of
that same family.

I would guess that some less tech-savvy users than me (you would
perhaps think there are none, but there are!) might be confused by the
above, and not immediately realize that the "NT family" includes also
all the recent versions of Windows.

So perhaps we should keep "the latest version" or something like that.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas