Subject: Re: Emacs in multiple profiles

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 21:12:14 -0400

Hello Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> For one, I think restarting my Emacs server (started at login) won't be
>> enough to discover newly installed packages to my profile.
>
> Hmmm, I don't understand why this would be an issue.  With updated
> environment variables, a new instance of Emacs should successfully find
> everything, shouldn't it?

Yes, when the instance is really *new*, forked from a session where
EMACSLOADPATH is set right.  I typically start Emacs in server mode
using a shepherd user service, so rarely restart Emacs.  And even if I
was to do 'herd restart emacs', its variables would still be inherited
from the login process that spawned its service.

But that's not too big an issue for Emacs when using Emacs-Guix, as one
can do `guix-set-emacs-environment' and choose a profile to re-read and
set (in Emacs itself) its environment variables.  Re-running
'guix-emacs-autoload-packages' would then refresh the autoloads
corectly, given that EMACSLOADPATH would have been refreshed with an
updated profile.

>> I'll let some time pass (2 weeks), and if nobody objects, I'll merge it
>> to master.
>
> Sounds great, thanks for this awesome fix!

Thank you for your interested in it, you motivated me to dust off a year
old (maybe more) patch and fix the remaining bits.

Maxim