Subject: Re: bug#38013: [PATCH] Rectangular region selection with mouse

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 19:28:48 +0100

> I can assure you that press-select-release semantics for popup menus
 > is very common,

At least here on Windows pressing the right mouse button does nothing
with Firefox, Thunderbird or the desktop.

 > and has been for several decades. Most applications also support the
 > click-select-click model.
 >
 > However, I think we largely agree that the current buffer and face
 > menus are of limited utility and that their bindings should not be
 > considered sacred territory.

I fully agree but obviously cannot speak for the others.  It would be
nice though to settle this very issue in order to free the down
bindings for good.

 > Thank you; it's not very convenient on my keyboards, so I'd rather
 > use control-meta, but plain meta is of course better still.  In
 > decreasing order of preference: meta, control, shift, control-meta,
 > shift-meta, shift-control.

It's clearly up to you to propose any of them.

martin