Subject: bug#38013: [PATCH] Rectangular region selection with mouse

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 10:07:17 +0100

>> The meta combinations are bound to the secondary selection in a very
 >> elaborate fashion and should be left alone.
 >
 > Abstracting the modifiers for the secondary selection seemed
 > straightforward to me. Did I miss anything?

I meant that the code for working with the secondary selection has
been set up in a quite meticulous way so I would never mess with it
(including the modifiers it uses).

 > Picking some free multi-key modifier like shift-control would
 > have nobody complain, but isn't necessarily optimal.

I usually shift-control with my pinkie alone so I would consider it
optimal and use it for many key combinations all the time.

 > You seem to believe that mouse-buffer-menu and mouse-appearance-menu
 > don't deserve their bindings. I'm neutral, but would be interested
 > in what other people have to say about it.

These deserve their bindings though I would not pop up a menu from a
mouse-down event alone.  What I am obviously assuming is that the
rectangular region selection code is based on mouse-dragging from one
corner of the rectangle to the opposite one, so a mouse-drag is easily
distinguishable from a click for a pop-up-menu.  If this assumption is
wrong, my rebinding proposal is clearly void.

martin