Subject: bug#38011: 27.0.50; [PATCH] WIP on allowing Gnus backends to return header data directly

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:48:34 +0100

>>>>> On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 21:00:36 -0800, Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> said:

    Eric> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> On 01/05/21 09:47 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
    >>> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
    >>> 
    >>>> Morally the same: the agent has its own `gnus-agent-uncached-articles'
    >>>> function, which consults the .agentview file, so it uses that instead of
    >>>> `gnus-sorted-difference'. But the same idea.
    >>> 
    >>> Right.

    Eric> [...]

    >> Anyway, I'll keep looking at this patch for a bit, and see if I can find
    >> any more problems with it.

    Eric> I found a couple more, in agent file writing, and have pushed a commit
    Eric> fixing that. So far as I can tell this now works as intended. I've run
    Eric> side-by-side comparisons of master and this feature branch, messing with
    Eric> the cache and the agent, and feel fairly confident that behavior is the
    Eric> same in terms of header fetching, and files written to disk. I think I'd
    Eric> feel okay merging this, but would also be happy to let it mellow longer.

I think previous experience shows that the only way to find bugs in
this kind of code is to foist it on us :-)

Robert