Subject: RE: bug#3801: 23.0.96; Emacs manual: add index entry for "notation, keys" or "key notation"

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:25:08 -0700

> > I think you are looking for "User Input" and "Keys" nodes.
> 
> Yes, I can't remember "notation" as a word people use for keys.
> 
> Closing this bug report.

It's not about anyone using "notation" as a word for keys.

It's about being able to easily locate the notational conventions we use in our
manuals.

As I said, contrast the case of the Elisp manual.

In the Elisp manual too we should probably add "notational conventions" as an
index entry, in addition to the existing entry "typographical conventions"
(which takes you to node `Some Terms', a subnode of node `Conventions').

But in that manual (Elisp) things are much clearer because of this top-level
table of contents entry:

 `Conventions' - How the manual is formatted

There is no similar organization for the Emacs manual, and consequently it is
more difficult to find a presentation of "how the manual is formatted".