Subject: Re: bug#38002: Please remove this joke

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 15:24:27 +0000

Deleting any jokes (including the one you're acquiescent to removal), 
after accepting the persons work (the code that came along with the 
joke) is extremely disrespectful to the person who did the programming 
work along-side it.

(And I mean /that/ person, including a time-period element (people 
change, sadly, they're always better when they're younger: when they're 
old they simply give up and obey).)

It is like tearing their essence out of the program, their joys, their 
perspective. It is treating them as a mule.

Just like proprietary companies threat their programming m[a|u]les.

It also erases the history of the program, the men behind it, their 
time-period. With the joke and all the rest you can remenice and 
remember /THAT/ time and even the day when the commit was added, and 
interacting with the person. This is like kicking over their gravestone 
and is /effectivly/ deleting them from the history of the program (the 
Authors list does /not/ give you context regarding who they were: just 
gives their names, which is useless, especially since everyone uses the 
same handful of first names, and the last names aren't too varied either 
(usually it's just a job title from their family's past peasant or 
mercantile work)).

Let me suggest this: When it came time to have family names, the losely 
Confederated central-european states gave some people cruel jokes of a 
family name: "gold water" (piss water) etc.

They kept the names anyway when they came to America and could change 
them. Yet you can't keep the joke because a woman is offended? The women 
are /more important/ than the /men/ who /actually/ helped you guys?

EMACS is old, like many of you are now. Would you like your history 
erased because a woman was offended?

Also: in the USA after 35 years an author, or his estate, can recover 
his copyrights on whatever works he produced, regardless of who he 
assigned the copyright to, within a window of time.

If I were one of the men who's jokes were being removed I would do 
exactly that (these sound like 1980s jokes... even 1970s ones). Then 
when the code was reimplemented I would sue for contributory copyright 
infringement. That's just me though.

Then you would have to make the real choices:
US Copyright Law OR Free Software as your basic creed.
Men OR Women as your programmers.

I will tell you: while you grasp at women and obey their speech codes, 
and bend us to /their/ will: you lose the flock of gulls in your hand.

If we liked them we would not waste our lives programming: we would 
chase the women. There is a reason we have the time to do the free 
software programing and media creation. The fact is we tacitly reject 
them because they are tyrants (they would say they rejected us: just as 
they attacked you, RMS, in the past saying you would "never get laid" 
when you asked them to stop sending birth announcements to the list), 
slave drivers, and banned everything we /actually/ wanted (marrying 
/girls/ not /women/).

They demand a joke written by a programmer be removed from the program. 
What do they offer? Nothing. They offer nothing in payment for the 
erasure of the man's mark. They certainly offer nothing to said man.

I know, in the end, it's your program, RMS (and the other original 
programmers of emacs in the 70s, you being one of them, this being a 
continuation-in-kind, grown from a clone). But you accepted these men's 
code, and their joke. Now we watch as "maintainers" and women disrespect 
the programmers, and attack you (trying to oust you), and you agree with 
them and go along with them. So we silently walk away.

What do you even gain from it? The women and their supporters had you 
thrown out of MIT, tossed out of the FSF, and do you have a very young 
bride or two that's adorable? No you don't have that either. You got 
nothing for it. It would be better to move the free software movement to 
Jordan. Even Russia would be a better option; they'll give you a pretty 
young woman there (not a girl though; Islam is the only one standing 
against Americanism on this).

On 2019-11-01 14:29, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
> 
> There is nothing wrong with jokes in general, and no valid reason in
> general to delete jokes in the Emacs distribution.  If you think there
> is something bad about a particular joke, please suggest deleting that
> specific joke and give the specific reason.