Subject: Re: bug#38000: 27.0.50; [PATCH] WIP on using gnus info accessor macros

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 11:07:03 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Huh, I didn't realize that list-based structs didn't put a tag in the
>> `car' position unless you pass the :named keyword.
>>
>> We could switch to list-based structs without breaking out-of-tree code,
>> but I don't see much point: you can't use them for generic function
>> dispatch, even when they're :named, nor do you get a NAME-p predicate
>> for free. That doesn't leave much point.
>
> It means that you don't have to write the accessor macros by hand.  :-)

But you already did! :)

Okay, let's use them anyway. And I'd like to move the "extend" and
"vacuum" procedures to the reading and writing of the newsrc.eld file,
so the rest of the code can forget about it. I'll leave the setter
macros in place, and continue to accept (and ignore) an EXTEND argument,
so other people's code continues to work.

>> Nope, still don't get it. It seems to me the only real question is
>> whether or not nnvirtual-mapping-marks should override whatever marks
>> were already there.
>
> I don't get it either, I'm afraid.

I'll look at it some more, and see if I can come up with some tests.

Eric