Subject: bug#380: previous-matching-history-element beef up

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:27:59 -0400

tag 380 +wishlist
thanks

> And when one does hit that second M-r, it would be nice if the prompt
> would show what the current default search string is. All it ever says is
> "Previous element matching (regexp): " though indeed it remembers a
> default all the time at least after first use.

Indeed, it should probably use the " (default <foo>)" convention.
But maybe that would be impractical because the prompt would then be
too long.

> Also some of us would like C-r to "bust through" into previous lines,
> so we don't have to use the less familiar M-r (ESC r for us old dogs
> who never learned new ALT tricks). Maybe make a variable to allow
> that.

I don't know what you mean by "bust through", but in Emacs-23, C-s and
C-r (i.e. isearch) will automatically jump through the history to find
the next match.  Maybe that's what you meant.

        Stefan