Subject: Re: No coding system used for environment variables

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:30:20 -0400

Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Two objections were made to Jason's patch: (i) some coding systems are
>> not ready until some .elc files get loaded (relevant for special cases,
>> such as the EMACS_LOAD_PATH variable), and (ii) DECODE_FILE causes GC,
>> so variables such as `nm' in Fexpand_file_name may not point to valid
>> data after that.
>> 
>> If no elegant solution is forthcoming, I'd suggest simply documenting
>> (i) as a limitation, and dealing with (ii) by simply turning off GC in
>> the affected part of the function.
>
> I think the GC part can be handled the same way as in bug #93

Okay.  Could you put your patch back in, with the proper GC handling?

>> I noticed that the patch posted at
>> 
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2007-05/msg00115.html
>> 
>> has not been checked into the trunk either.
>
> I think the bug reported there is the same as #93, which is fixed in the
> trunk, but not the branch AFAIK.

Could you port this fix to the branch?  Thanks.